- Login to your adwords account.
- Click on +CAMPAIGN button and select DISPLAY NETWORK ONLY
- Type a campaign name – and select no marketing objective, select the country you want to target, budget per day, leave rest as default
- Click save on continue on the bottom
- Next screen is where the magic happens. On the ad group screen, you need to do the following:
- Type adgroup name
- Set your maximum bid
- Select use a different targeting method, and select placements.
- Next click on MULTIPLE PLACEMENTS, and type in mail.google.com > click ADD
It should look like this
- Make sure you de-check the let adwords automatically find new customers; this is very important. If you do not they will load your ad on other sites outside of Gmail. When done click Save & continue
- On the next screen, Click SKIP AD CREATION button at the bottom because Gmail ads don’t support text ads, they actually require special Gmail only ads you create in another place.
- Click on ADS tab, click the +AD button and select AD GALERY
- Click on GMAIL ADS
- On the next screen you have the option to create many kinds of ads; for this tutorial I am going to go with GMAIL SINGLE PROMOTION template.
- The next screen is where you create your ad. Gmail ads have a collapsed ad, and an extended ad. You need images 144×144 pixels for the logo and can have an image 650x up to 500 pixels for the expanded ad.
- That’s it, your ad should now be created and waiting for approval.
As you can see from the entire step by step process; NO WHERE is it disclosed that clicks in Gmail ads only campaigns aren’t the same kind of clicks we advertisers are all are used to (that clicking a text ad, display ad, HTML5 ad will get the clicker to our website).
Please note: Google does not disclose this while setting up a campaign but clicks inside Gmail campaigns are not what you are used to. So if your CPC is 10 cents in the USA, that isn’t your actual CPC. They have a new metric called website clicks in Gmail campaigns you need to add via custom columns inside your adwords panel to see the real CPC.