Two of the biggest CDN providers in the world are Amazon and Akamai. Rackspace uses Akamai as their back end for the CDN service they offer, so they have great node coverage worldwide, meaning low ping times and latency. I opted for Rackspace [get an account here] and made this guide to show you step by step how to upload your landing page using Cyberduck and get setup in no time.
Why host your landers on a CDN? Well here are the benefits that’ll answer that question:
–You don’t have to get a server on every single continent to get low latencies
–You don’t have the hassle of having to upload the same landers into multiple servers
–You don’t have to pay for many servers
–You run organized; get more done in less time, and can have everything in one place = great efficiency.
#1) Click here to go to rackspace sign up form.
#2) Enter your details, and fill out the registration form.
#3) Wait for them to activate your account (they might call you up to verify)
Part #2 – Login and create a container (domain prefix where your landers will reside)
1) Login to your RackSpace account by visiting http://iamattila.com/go/rackspace/
2) Click on FILES
3) Click on Create Container button
a) Fill out your desired container name, ie: landers
b) For region: Select any one that is closest to the geos you will be targeting (this really only matters to save on unnecessary bandwidth charges)
c) For type: Select Static Website
d) Click Create Container
Part #3 – Upload your files, making sure you name the lander index.html
You may upload files right through the RackSpace admin panel, however there is a better, more efficient way. SMART TIP: You should use a multi-threaded FTP program called CyberDuck to upload files, this makes it very easy & fast.
NOTE: CDN can only support static landing pages, so you cannot run PHP files or anything that is dynamic.
How to upload files with CyberDUCK to Rackspace CDN
- Download CyberDuck Here
- Install It, and Open It
- Click the Open Connection icon inside cyber duck
- From the drop down select Rackspace Cloud Files (US)
- Type in your username
- Grab the API key by clicking on your username on the upper-top right corner inside the RackSpace Admin Panel, and selecting Account Settings. The API key is located right there, click SHOW then select it and copy it to your clipboard.
- Now go back to CyberDuck and where it asks for API, simply paste it in and press CONNECT
- After you logged in, drag and drop the files into their place and wait for the upload to complete.
- That’s it!
Part #4) Setup a CNAME alias at your registrar to the rackspace CDN address
1) Grab your rackspace CDN address for the container by clicking the FILES tab on the top menu inside RackSpace Admin panel.
Click the gear icon next to the container you created
From the menu select View All Links
2) Copy the HTTP link to your clipboard – this will be the one we will be cname-ing
3) Head to your domain registrar, or DNS host and setup the CNAME to point to the address you copied in step #2
*Unfortunately with this step, I cannot provide any detailed insights as all of us use different registrars & DNS services
#7) That’s it! You are done. 🙂