I constantly try and experiment with things, test new stuff and we use different domains for every single major test we do, whether it is testing a new traffic source, or a mega global offer. To make a long story short, we decided why not try a .mobi domain for our tracker domain! One very cool one was available, so I regged it and instructed my assistant to set it up, and get some campaigns up to test.
Today I wake up, check stats and traffic source says 9600 clicks, tracker says 5021 clicks – I’m like WTF! I check if server was down by looking at day parting/hourly breakdown for the test campaigns – nope, everything looks consistent. Next, I try and open my own tracker links from my mobile – and dang, I can’t. Try my other mobile (its onanother carrier) and it works. Holy shit, this could be it!
We setup another test, this time using a .com domain, and long behold it works on my phone and after running $100 worth of data, the click discreptency is all within acceptable levels. So yes, expensive $370 dollar loss lesson, let it serve you well – do not use .mobi domains for your trackers